My nephew is coming into town for Thanksgiving and he is 8 years old. He's never been shooting and asked if I would take him since my brother doesn't have anywhere to take him living in Atlanta.

I plan on letting him shoot my .223 and youth .410 and my granddaddies old iron sight .22 rifle at some pumpkins and targets at our lease. I've got the basic eye protection and ear protection and a shooting rest set up for him to use. I've taken lots of people shooting for the first time but never a kid. Is there anything else I could bring to make it more enjoyable for him? Obviously, stressing gun safety is the most important thing just trying to think of things I may have forgotten.

I also have different caliber pistols available but can't decide if those are good to start with or let him get comfortable with the above mentioned long guns first since they manage recoil better. I've also got different long guns that are a bit bigger like 12 gauge, 16 gauge, .270 and 30-30 but thinking of leaving those at home for same reason as the pistols.