It's ALL of that, plus a very different paradigm from the hunters themselves. From the day they are old enough to go with dad, all they know is they've got ONE tag, so it better count. On the converse, most folks our age in Alabama (I'm 45) grew up in the 1 doe / 1 buck per day for 3-1/2 months paradigm. And for some reason there's just this goofy mentality in the South to act like unemployed hillbillies who'll starve to friggin' death if they don't "get some meat in the freezer". Seriously, for so many (it's REALLY prevalent with the old guard) that's all hunting is. They aren't serious enough about it to bowhunt, so all they're really looking for is gun season to start, they go shoot a 3 point for "meat in the freezer". Are they wrong? Nah, but it's just a different paradigm from the rest of the country. The Midwest guys bowhunt about the percentage that we gun hunt down here.

I hunt because it's FUN. I can buy food, I don't HAVE to kill for food. I don't mind eating it, but I don't usually. It's not cheaper, but folks act like they'd never go buy 75# of meat from the local grocer or supplier, but by golly they'll jizz their shorts to pay stupid money for bloody deer meat. In the South it's disproportionately "food" hunters...we don't give a crap about management, or antlers, or really being all that serious about anything hunting, just "get some meat in the freezer". In fact, most hunters down here angrily reject those things. Really bizarre for a 1st world country in the year 2019.

We were on the edge of Eternia, when the power of Greyskull began to take hold.