Originally Posted by Goatkiller

I just don't think pulling the jawbone is necessary we all know what a mature deer looks like.

I might be a 14 inch spike on one side or a nice symetrical 10pt. Is it 4 yo or 5 yo? Who cares. You should be astonished it made it past 3 without taking a bullet.

It ain't a 4 inch 4 point.

Reality says - Not a lot of guesswork involved.

Same. It's really not scientific to me, I guess I just know it when I see it. And the way I hunt I don't normally have the leisure of viewing that deer for any length of time, I hunt a military base mostly and it's all big woods and cutovers. Lots of times the deer might've been jumped. It's usually just "Oh crap, there's a good un, BANG!" Sometimes you get down and walk over to him and there's a little ground shrinkage, maybe he's a 3.5 year old 15" wide 8pt. Next time he's 130" and the biologist says 6+. Those two deer would be fairly distinguishly different on a food plot together, relaxed with plenty of binocular time. But most of us can't / won't tell them apart slipping through a chest high cutover at 100 yards, going in the direction of that other guy's headlamp you saw this morning. Hurry up, BANG!!! But for me there's just no scenario where I'm gonna shoot a piss willy, those deer are always obvious.

We were on the edge of Eternia, when the power of Greyskull began to take hold.