We haven't pulled jawbones in years, but we used to send them off to the biologist (back when we had doe tags). We provide live weight and record the sex (with number of points if buck) and IF the doe is lactating.

Bucks, more often than not - based on size (not a good indicator (the bucks in Montgomery County generally weigh a little more) - 175-ish 3-1/2, 190-ish 4-1/5, 200+- 5-1/2+). I've never used gray as an indicator. When I hunted Montgomery County - we had pictures of most of the deer we would kill, so we had some photographic reference before pulling the trigger. During the rut - all bets are off on the weight. I killed a very large 8-point several years ago that was pretty light (182) for his frame, the taxidermist jawbone aged him at 5-1/2+ - I have the jawbone somewhere around the house that if I can find it, I'll post the picture.

Does - I normally open their mouths and run my finger across their teeth and check the sharpness, wear, and enamel. This is also not a good indicator based on soil type, but in Montgomery and Bullock county - the soil is not sandy, so I don't expect excessive wear from what they eat.

I personally have never used ears as an indicator

"The struggle you're in today, is developing the strength you need for tomorrow."