Originally Posted by Irishguy
Originally Posted by BamaGuitarDude
Originally Posted by jmudler
Had the exact stove in the basement at my old house.

it's a good one ... i've learned to build really hot, smaller fires (usually 3 logs) & get it piping *ss hot vs loading it up & idling it ... once you have a good coal bed, it's off to the races to maintain the temps inside my home ... i only run this when it's cold like this; 40's-60's i just let my heat pump run ...

there are times when i wish i had glass doors so i could see the fire ... but the main purpose of this thing is to heat the house; that's romantic enough for me LOL

That's a really cool old stove. I'm still learning how to use mine the most efficiently. The one thing I have learned is in the mornings when it's cold is to get it going again with some maple splits and it gets things heated up pretty quick and then to keep a good steady heat later on add in larger splits of hickory and oak.

yup - you'll learn what your heater likes to do over time ... at night before going to bed, i like to put a non-split round log on top to "hold" the fire for a while during the night ... that or a pretty big split chunk ... all i burn is oak in mine btw; you can Google BTU's for each wood type & learn a lot about what'll produce the most heat inside your stove ...

Last edited by BamaGuitarDude; 11/13/19 10:09 AM.

ALDeer physics: for every opinion, there's an equal & opposite opinion

A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.