Originally Posted by timbercruiser
Even tho I had a hard time getting the Coker oats spread, the deer are hammering the plots, a little too much actually. I think next year I will use a 3 way mix combined with Coker oats and get the seed thicker. The dang turkeys aren't helping anything.

I did a test one year where I planted wheat, oats. rye, radishes, (and something else it seems like too maybe...…)all in separate 1/4 acre test plots side by side down through my big field. Then I monitored for the rest of the season to see what a happened. Oats got hit early compared to the other grains and would also probably be the most preferred it I had to call one such. Cereal rye was a close second but they didn't start concentrating on it until later in the season compared to the oats....By late winter they we using the oats and rye about the same. The wheat was noticeably in third place behind the other two but it was also struggling compared to the other in my poor sand. This was back before I started rebuilding my soil and when it was just nothing but harsh sand.....The wheat struggled and looked yellowy compared to the other two. If the wheat would have been in better growing conditions and fed more N then there may have been different results. Wheat does like to be pampered with good soil and lot of N compared to the other two..

Last edited by CNC; 11/12/19 11:17 AM.

We dont rent pigs