Originally Posted by Bulls eye
Originally Posted by AMB
Originally Posted by jbatey1
I plan on taking my wife’s little cousin. He’s 9, never hunted and never shot a real gun until the other day when I took him shooting. He was cutting bullet holes at 50 yards with a 22 mag. I’m gonna step him up to the gun he’ll be hunting with one evening this week.

We’ll hunt a simple spot in hopes that a fat doe walks out.

I'd make sure that the gun he will be hunting with is dead on and let his first shot with it be at a deer, just my opinion, but I learned it raising my two daughters and saw the difference that it made in making sure they weren't scared of recoil. I made my oldest daughter shoot my 7-08 before the hunt and it scared her and my youngest daughter practiced with a 22 with a scope on it and the first time that she shot the 7-08 she killed her first deer.

That’s good advice. My 13 yr old shot his first deer with a 300 blackout. We were on a hog hunt this summer and he needed something with a little more distance capability. I brought a .270 and made sure it was dead on at camp. I didn’t want him to sight it in for fear he would get scared of the recoil. He made a great hundred yard shot on a pig the first time he ever shot that gun. Never mentioned the recoil and we will be using it on the youth hunt this weekend.

Thats how I'm gonna do my boy practice with 22mag then 1st shot with reduced recoil 308 will be at deer

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Ben Franklin