Originally Posted by Turkey_neck

Looks good to me Harold my fields look great

Thanks….I’m gonna take a stab in the dark and say that he’s talking about the grain that’s growing in under all the dog fennel possibly not being utilized. I think that’ll take care of itself though as the season progresses. Right now I’m just looking at it as banked forage. A couple years ago….or maybe it was 3… loco ..or hell maybe it was last year….I don’t know… grin …..anyways….it came a good snow late in the season that blanketed the ground for several days. I noticed after a couple days of the ground being covered that the deer started pawing through it in under my water oaks and basically rooting out any old acorns they could find. Once they got hungry enough they did what they had to do to get the food. I’m betting that once they eat the easy to get to forage in the field then they’ll do what they gotta do to get that forage that’s being protected by the laid over dog fennel. We'll see though....that's why you experiment and failures are always an expected part.

Now….while we’re on the topic of waste…..one thing we’re not wasting as compared to many tilled fields is fertilizer and topsoil. Having your field covered over with hay and debris like this greatly improves water infiltration and helps to prevent runoff. That means that the water is going down into the soil instead into the ditch…..and where the water goes….so goes much of your fertilizer….especially during heavy downpours.

Last edited by CNC; 11/09/19 11:35 PM.

We dont rent pigs