Originally Posted by CNC
Was there ever really a point where hunting was full of great trackers? I'm talking about real trackers like you're describing. I'm guessing if there was it was a looooong time ago and it died well before any dog came on the scene. I'm 40 and I don't know if I've ever seen any real trackers. What y'all are talking about has always been a rare breed....or at least it has been for quite a while

In my hunting bunch, we can all track. I’ve personally tracked 50+. When I was first starting to really hunt Dad had me to track any deer that was shot, from the easy ones with a great blood trail to the gut shot deer you had to get on your hands and knees and look for stomach contents. Years ago I started shooting bucks with a high shoulder shot as it typically anchors them with 15’. I don’t shoot many deer anymore but shot 4 last year (1 buck-high shoulder-15 yard recovery and 3 does all with headshots off a Caldwell front rest and rear sand bag).

What I see as the biggest issue are hunters taking unethical shots (bad angles, wrong bullets, too far for capabilities, etc) and justifying it because they can call in a dog.

All that being said I might need a dog the next time I hunt but I will not take a marginal shot.