Originally Posted by Big Game Hunter
Dude, calm down.

Here’s the short of it.

People get on Facebook, while still in the stand, they ask if anyone knows a dog guy because they shot a doe, buck, Sasquatch, painter, etc prior to ever getting out of the phucking tree. They don’t go look at their arrow, they don’t go look for blood, they just call a dog in.

Are you realty ok with that?

Like I said; I may have to call you this weekend but it will be AFTER I go look at my arrow to confirm that I hit the damn deer.

I’m actually very calm…..I’m a pretty even keeled person….I’m just persistent as hell. grin

To answer your question though…..Yes, I’m great with that……Why?.....Because WAY more deer would probably be recovered if folks did just that. The fact is that most hunters out there don’t really know how to track and never have. What y’all are calling “Do everything possible by traditional means first”…..usually equates to…..”Do everything possible to phuck it up first before calling for a tracking dog”……The reason why I know that there are very few folks taking bad shots with a tracking dog in mind is because the majority of the calls I get sound like this…..

“We gave him at least 30 minutes before tracking but jumped him up out of bed at 200 yards….We backed out for another 30 min to an hour and went back in to look again but lost blood about 100-200 yards past where we jumped him…..or my favorite….we tracked him for 800 more yards before finally running out of blood…..(They might as well have said we pushed him for another 800 yards)……Me and 2 other guys walked the area out pretty well but I just can’t find him anywhere…..You think the dog might be able to find him now???”

This is the reality of it……If most of these folks would call an experienced tracker before doing anything then they would at least get some sound advice on how to proceed and it would likely turn the above story into….”We found him in his bed 200 yards from the hit site!”. I just had one such track a few days ago. I was already at the hunting club tracking when a lady shot a nice buck about an hour before dark. You could tell they were amped up to go find him that evening but I convinced them to give it time. As a result the buck was 180 yards from the hit site with an arrow in his guts instead of two properties over sunk in a river or pond, etc….

So yeah….I don't mind at all if folks call before doing anything.

Last edited by CNC; 10/22/19 09:34 PM.

We dont rent pigs