Originally Posted by twaldrop4
I’d put my 7 year olds woodsmanship against a lot of the guys on this forum 7 days a week. The same people saying these kids are too young will be the very ones griping about the new generation and how sorry they are. And next week they will be talking about how kids these days are soft. But if you include them they are too young. Some of y’all just like to gripe.

there are 2 schools of thought.
my dad was the kind that didn't allow anyone to hunt our property unless they were 16. I obviously got some special treatment, but he only let me deer hunt at 14 and turkey hunt at 13. now, by hunt that meant you are on your own. see ya and bring back something. he figured I had been by his side for 8+ years and I better had been taking mental notes. (we hunted small game since I was 7 probably once a weekend in August through Christmas).

the more common model today is let your kids succeed early on. buy a youth model 243 and help them hold it and carry it to the stand. I hate this, but it is what I'm doing too. my son is probably going to get a shot at a 140ish deer next week and I'll talk him through it. secretly I hope a pitiful looking fork horn walks out and he starts off that way. funny thing is the 1st year I hunted I used a 1942 M1 garand with the instructions of "don't give yourself M1 thumb." Blasted a doe and was proud as could be though.

Last edited by Semo; 10/21/19 08:53 PM.