Originally Posted by CNC
Originally Posted by BamaGuitarDude

i hear ya ... my only point in mentioning the Pinhoti guy is simply that he exhausted ALL his options the traditional way before calling in a tracking dog ..

I still think a lot of folks are just looking at this the wrong way. I think in another ten years a lot of this will pass. I’m good with whatever a hunter wants to do…..back out and call a dog before even looking or exhaust all other options first…..I’m used to it all at this point……But to make it out to be like exhausting all other options first is the right thing to do is not really correct in my opinion. When I hear this I hear….”I’ve swung this eastwing hammer until my arm hurts and I realize now I’ll never finish this house with it…..Can you bring in a nail gun??”…..There’s no reason why someone should have to exhaust all other options first. Hell, if I shoot one and smoke it…..I’m still going back to the house to get my dogs….Why wouldn’t I? It’d be like riding a bike to town and leaving my truck in the driveway….It makes no sense. Why should other hunters do the same if they have the option of calling someone with a better tool for the job? This doesn’t have to be about who’s a woodsman and who ain’t just because they call for a dog.

we get it. you are supporting tracking with a dog. but maybe the guy making money off it shouldn't have to be the main proponent. kind of like an auto shop guy trying to convince some if us that not knowing how to change a tire or work on the engine isn't a big deal. just give him a call. I support tracking with a dog, but I also think part of hunting is becoming a woodsman in ways that includes learning how to ethically find game.