My daughter sat with me from 12 to 16 years old(she is in her early 20s now). She killed at least a deer every year during that time and let several good ones go because she was not comfortable with the shot. During that time, I thought I taught her about shot selection. If the deer is walking to you, you have to wait on him to get beside you or past you for the best shot if he does not turn.

Well last deer season she struggled to kill one and took a shot where the deer was at a bad angle. Found a definite hit. As cheap as I am about stuff like that, I backed out and called a dog man. We always had a house dog semi-trained that did a damn good job on a leash, and they were great when you killed the deer and just needed to find it. This dog was/is PROFESSIONAL...Zeena out of Columbus, GA if I remember.

I don't know about the cool thing to do, but it was damn sure cool. I was impressed. As much as spend on hunting, that extra bit was well worth it to ease my daughter's conscience about that bad shot and get some sausage. Hell, she was upset enough that he suffered as long as he did. So for even that small buck, it was worth it to me.