I believe a lot of this falls to marginal shots taken when no shot should have been made. I haven't bow hunted in a few years now but I've lost a few back when I did. I always tried to hold off until THE shot presented itself. Quite often that meant no shot. I've had some hoss bucks at short yardage but no favorable shot presented itself and I didn't take the low percentage shot. That's hard on the nerves and the hopes of getting that big one but it's the right decision. When I read about a deer being trailed 1000 yards and it's found/not found/still alive, etc it speaks to me of poor shot/deflected shot OR a shot that was made knowing that a dog could be put on the deer after the poorly placed shot. Then the pics come along and provide the evidence.

All that being said, I will bow hunt again, possibly this season. I run the risk of losing a deer that I shoot but it won't be because I tried to make a shot out of a situation that wasn't gonna do anything but wound the deer in hopes of finding it with a dog.

I firmly believe that a double gallows should be constructed on the East Lawn of The White House. Politicians who willfully and shamelessly violate their oath to uphold and defend the Constitution of the United States of America should be swiftly tried and, upon conviction, publicly hanged at sunup the day after conviction. If multiple convicts are to be hanged they can choose with whom to share the gallows or names shall be drawn from the hangman's hat to be hanged 2 at a time.

NRA Life Member