Originally Posted by dave260rem!
Not picking on you Kp but Speer gold dots are issued by Lapd&NYPD that's probably 50,000 officers not including federal branches and who knows how many small departments. I've loaded Speer GD's since 1999 and I've yet to separate one using standard normal pressure loads. Yes I "broke" a .357 outta a .35 Remington but that was planned. Sanow&Marshall Massad Ayoob John Farnum Clint Smith of Thunder Ranch Roy Huntingdon of American Handgunner have never written of GD "failure". Handguns aren't rifles which is why we tote them.

The failures weren't due to separation, but lack of adequate penetration. As I said, my sample size was very small, but large enough for me to make professional decisions for my department and personal decisions for me. We stopped carrying them after the second failure. I'm also familiar with the processes larger federal and municipal departments use for purchasing. Actual field performance is difficult to measure when listing requirements in Request for Proposal or Request for Quote documents and agreements used during the purchasing process. So, it doesn't surprise me that LA and NY use Gold Dots as they probably met the standards (bullet type, weight, and velocity requirements) listed in the RFP or RFQ.

Deciding which ammo to trust is a personal decision, use what you're comfortable with.

Last edited by kpswihart; 10/11/19 10:30 PM.