My idea of managing food plots has changed tremendously over the last decade and its still evolving even now. I see there being a lot of similarities in what we do as wildlife managers compared to the farmer but I see a lot of differences as well. One of the biggest differences is that the farmer likes everything to be nice and neat….while the food plot manager would probably benefit from just the opposite….even though many folks still want to mimic the neat clean fields of the farmer. I’m far enough along in my soil rebuilding process that I think I can probably grow a pretty decent field by simply broadcasting my seed before a good rain. All of the conditions and variables of my field should set up well for that. What I’m looking at now is incorporating “structure” into my food plots instead of having them be bare open circles. 2dogs and others compared deer to fish in one of the other recent threads and talked about how each one liked to use structure. However, how many of us are making food plots that mimic a pond that’s nothing but a bare clean circle….like for watering cattle. Is that how you would set up a killer bass pond?

I think I’m gonna try leaving the “structure” this year……….

[Linked Image]

We dont rent pigs