I'm posting this from my new Camp Little Ridge high speed internet connection. Yes friends... We are up town now... More on that later...

It's been a long week in places like Akerman, Starkville and Eupora, Mississippi, but I'm back at the cabin now. I did manage to find some decent eats while I was out and about roaming the land...

Ribeye steak at The Camphouse in Starkvegas... By the way... There are some pretty pretty girls in Starkvegas. All studying engineering no doubt.

[Linked Image]

I saw the face in the window in the Pickens County Courthouse. Boy... That was spooky... wink

[Linked Image]

On the way back home I diverted off of 82 and a place called Harvey's caught my eye just down the street from the birthplace of Tennessee Williams. I passed it by and then did a U-turn because there were so many cars in the parking lot. It didn't disappoint. I almost got the Steak and wedge, but I opted for the Shrimp and grits instead and it was pretty damn good... I'll have to take Mrs. Irish by the next time we pass through.

[Linked Image]

Getting to the cabin... So Mrs. Irish, the person I sleep with, (And this is a very important point) has been gently reminding me that she needs a better vanity in which to sit and put on her makeup, get pretty for cabin dinners and such... So I figured that might be something I should think about working on.

I took some of the sycamore that I had, cut a piece of it and mated it with a galvanized set of drawers that I got on a scratch and dent deal from Tractor Supply. I used some galvanized pipes and fittings that I got from Lowes and started making her a vanity that would fit the space between the closets... 32".

This picture is the first coat of a mixture of boiled linseed oil, mineral spirits, and oil based polyurethane. I have sanded and wiskered (Sand. wet with water, dry and then re-sand) several times) the wood and I am applying the coating with steel wool. I have several coats to follow...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Notice the "butterfly" I put in there to stem the split. She really liked that. I got bonus points, even though this is her birthday present. grin

Lastly for today... I've been waiting for the internet people to come out here for over a month. I've cut trees to get them out of the way, etc... So the guy shows up today and takes some readings and he's not getting enough signal. So I said,

"You need to get on this ladder and climb up to the roof line and I'll bet you can get some."

Well he didn't like getting up the ladder, so we went in the loft and got the signal we needed and then he goes back in his truck and says,

"I don't have the stuff I need to mount the receiver up there."

I'm like, "Think again Batman!" grin

So I quickly devised a way using some PVC pipe and a conduit brace to make him a mount. Doing that, we got her done! He was like, "You really want internet today." I'm like, "No chit. I design chit all day every day I'm not here to play!" grin

Anyway, so now we have about 50 mbps running at Camp Little Ridge for $70 a month...

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Irishguy; 09/20/19 06:44 PM.