Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Originally Posted by inatree
Well RHs motivation has gotten me to thinking hard lately about my own weight issues and I had decided earlier today that in the morning I am going to start the Keto diet... I was all set about 3 weeks ago and a friend had a stroke that had been on the diet and lost over 100lbs. His Dr told him it was the worst diet he could have been on. They said his blood basically was to thick because of it. I don't know how but that's what he said they told him. But I have to do something.

Let me clear up at least the kind of diet I am on. I'm not on a strictly Keto diet. I've only studied the keto diet to learn about different foods that I didn't have in my diet at the time that were still low carb.

Another thing is that Keto means different things to different people. You could eat nothing but Bologna,cheese,and Bacon and be on a Keto diet but I don't think it would be healthy at all. Lots of people eat what I call junky Keto or dirty Keto with lots of processed meat and high fat meat like bacon and all kinds of pork. I do eat those things but most of my diet is lots of fresh vegetables and fish ,eggs,yogurt, berries,nuts,seeds,some fruit some beans,and a little grain once in a while.

If I was advocating anything it would be cutting out completely some foods like Sugar first. There is no argument based on science that sugar is good for you. It is a dose sensitive liver toxin and causes all kinds of problems in our bodies. Then there are foods that act just like refined sugar on the glycemic scale like white bread and white rice or something like white potatoes. Things should never be consumed in my opinion. Otherwise I think we need the best quality and highest nutrient foods that we can get with the least processing possible.

Some foods will be more problematic for some people. It doesn't take much fruit or grain for me to add a couple pounds. I just keep a watch on my weight,energy levels, and eat different things experimenting. For instance,fresh tomatoes from the garden make my joints ache like a bad tooth ache. I like to make a treat of toasted oats Splenda,bakers chocolate,raisins and toasted almonds with a little chunky peanut butter mixed in. It's awesome and gives me great energy but puts on weight quickly and getting back on low carbs after being on carbs makes you tired about 3 days. You got to learn all this stuff for yourself and see how your body does on certain foods but the main goal is to eat as healthy as possible while avoiding everything that isn't healthy.

Basically what that means is only shopping in the meat and produce section and staying away from anything in a box or can. I do get canned beans,tuna,and salmon and some frozen vegatables and berries but I try to eat as fresh as possible.

Thanks for the advice.

Free men aren't equal and equal men aren't free! I choose to defend my freedom!