Originally Posted by JBL
Originally Posted by kpswihart
I've seen tons of flat bottoms that had transom height extended and braced back to the hull, along the gunnels. Works great. You may also think about treating the bottom to help slide over obstacles, several products are available.

I'm sure you can find one to fit your mission.

I've seen some of the flat bottoms do well too. Alot of the folks are trying the K5 Polurea, but some are saying it will peel in time. There may be some better stuff out there now though. The K5 does great as long as it stays stuck in there. The best I've seen is to glue and bolt on UHMW (ultra high molecular weight polyethylene) to the bottom. With it you can slide and get impact resistance. Probably overkill for anyone on here though lol

We did some pretty gnarly things up in AK, sliding over gravel bars, downed trees, beaver dams, etc. I've seen UHMW on airboat hulls quite a bit and on jet boat bows on occasion. I have a buddy in Petersburg, AK that used a painted on product he's had awesome luck with - super slick. I believe he's on his third season with it. Can't remember the name though.

Last edited by kpswihart; 09/14/19 08:24 AM.