Originally Posted by Goatkiller

When you start shooting light for caliber bullets bullet construction and performance becomes VERY important.

Not sure why you would do that. A basic understand of ballistics says you have not really done yourself any favors shooting small for caliber bullets.

If you are going to shoot a 120 grain from a .308 get a Barnes or Partition or something bonded.

If you want to shoot a 165 grain you can kill deer the same way they been dying since the 1940's. Millions of dead deer later.... it just takes a lot of guessing, questions, wishing, etc. out of the equation. It will just kill whatever you shoot with it.

I think the real question the OP should ask first is what grain bullet those on here like to shoot and let them try to justify why they shooting a pea shooter tiny bullet at a deer. You can't make a good argument for it other than talking about how your plumber's cousin said he kilt 2 deer with one neck shot offhand at 200 yards and it cut the first deer's head off like a lazer and that's the best dern bullet Billy Bob every said he seen.

There is no good reason to do that. If recoil is a problem... y'all know my thoughts on that... grow a pair. You shoot a 12ga shotgun don't you.

If you are talking about the 130 TTSX out of a 308, I can promise you bullet construction isn't the problem. I tried them because I was so very impressed by the 62 ttsx out of my kids 223 that kills like lightning, that i wanted to try them in a 308. All the research I did on the barnes bullets says that they like/need velocity and that light for caliber is the way to go. I have honestly seen more blood from the daughters 223 than I have from my 308/130 ttsx. These fine fellas have about talked me into shooting a few more with them before I jump ship though. Maybe my sample of 3 is too small.

I do 90% of my deer hunting in front of a pack of hounds with a 3.5" 12 gauge and a bad ass 00 handload. I can assure you that being recoil shy is not the problem.

Last edited by Fldoghunter; 09/13/19 02:18 PM.

May the sound of hounds never die!