Originally Posted by Moose24

You can open carry without a permit as well. Your permit is for conceal carry. The permit is a bulldoodoo move by the government anyway. They can't fully infringe on your right to bear arms so, they chose to do only the conceal part. What's even more F'd up is that carrying in your car is considered conceal carry if it is loaded.

Depends on the state. I lived in Texas 2014-2018 and went through the process to get a CHL there- a process I wish Alabama had some form of. If you get a CHL/LTC in that state, you -know- what the gun laws are. Here? Alabama does not go to any length at all to make sure its citizens who carry know what the law is. Even law enforcement disagrees on the details, and details matter.

Open carry was approved in Texas a couple of years ago, with the laws changing since I had been through the classes. I had enrolled in a refresher course to cover the new laws but had not attended that yet. Open carry in that state is legal only (and this is specific) in a belt or a shoulder holster. The law states that, very narrowly. I was stopped for not -quite- stopping at a stop sign on the way back from the range one day, a block from my house. I had my .380 in one of those under-the-steering-wheel holsters.

The officer was nice about it, but informed me that was not legal in the state- that unless the firearm was concealed on my person, even in the vehicle, it was defined as open carry- and that if I had been stopped by an officer having a bad day, I could have been cited for that and possibly have gone to jail- and he advised me that even though that type of vehicle holster may be a good idea, that I needed to stop using that in Texas, immediately.

I won't open carry for several reasons, one of the main ones being that when officers respond to a call, their job is to secure the scene. If all they know is "man with a gun" from the E911 call, I become their focus when they arrive, regardless of whether I was involved in the reason for the call.

I'm not interested in making a statement.

Last edited by Squeezebox; 09/11/19 02:25 PM.

"You cain't teach what you don't know any more than you can come back from where you ain't been"-- John Osteen, Houston Texas, 1986