Originally Posted by Jakethesnake
Originally Posted by AlabamaSwamper
Originally Posted by CrenshawMike
Originally Posted by AlabamaSwamper
If they want less does killed then make it buck only. Pretty simple thing to do.

Alabama’s wma system is a joke and has been for years. Why I don’t support Forever Wild any more.

I don’t know why they don’t open some all season like most states do.

I hunt FW lands often both land within the WMAs and outside of WMAs. I appreciate that program and find it difficult when a hunter would not support that program. There are over 22,000 acres outside of the WMAs that are manged as open permit public lands and according to the information in the Disgest around 228,000 acres are within our WMAs. Man that would suck for the public land hunter if those 228,000 were not available.

Regarding the daily permits, the main WMA I hunt (Hollins) has been doing this for a couple years. The kiosk are easy to access and it takes all of about 2 minutes to grab a permit fill it out and move on, then at the end of my hunt another couple minutes to drop the portion you carry with you while hunting. In talking with the area bilogist, i can understand need user inormation for management and reporting to the USFW in association with the PR dollars that help fund our DNR.

My point exactly

22000 acres scattered across the entire state

And 228,000 acres that are scheduled hunts

Why not open 150,000 to statewide seasons like most other states do?

Id venture to say...if they opened those 150k acres to state schedule, the hunting would just get worse. The wma's that i hunt are packed. The kill numbers are pathetic. We sure dont need more hunting days on them.

We definitely dont need more days hunting deer and turkey on the North AL WMAs. I cant speak for the others. More days would put an absolute beating on the deer population. Dont get me wrong, I would love more hunting days, but the acreage and animal population just cant handle it, not with the amount of hunters we're talking.