Originally Posted by Sasquatch Lives
Originally Posted by Turkey_neck
Originally Posted by 2Dogs
Originally Posted by Sasquatch Lives
Used to have great hunting at oakmulgee and then they went in and cut all the hardwoods out and replanted pine. Ain't never seen a deer eating pine straw.

......or pine cones.

But managed correctly they provide way more forage then most hardwood monocultures.

Maybe in the first three years after planting while in cutover stage but that WMA has a lot of tall open pine areas with very little cover or feed. Wonder why their harvest and buck quality has gone down there? Hmm....

How many acorns are falling in March thru September? There is a time when pines aren’t as giving to the needs of deer but once the first thinning happens it opens up way more forage. Big open hardwoods are definitely prettier and I love them but a good balance of both is way better then all of one type. Of my 40 acres I have 15 set in long leaf that are 7 or 8 years old. I promise you I have way more forage for deer then I did before I cut timber. We have seen wildlife numbers grow triple what it was before also. Trust me I hate seeing a 2000 acre property with 200 acres of 40’ wide smz’s and the rest in pine.

Would walk over a naked woman to get to a gobblin turkey!