Originally Posted by 280REM
Originally Posted by soalaturkeys
I want a Boykin. I’ve lots of experience with field bred Springers so I know what to expect. Breeder recommendations are appreciated! Thanks.

I bought mine this past spring from a retired vet in H'ville. I don't know that he has any litters coming up. I can tell you this. Look for breeders who have, at a minimum, hip and eye certifications. Stay away from "breeders" offering dogs for sale under $1000.00. These are often pet owners who decided to have a litter. That was my take after researching. You can pay upwards of $2500. I wasn't willing to pay that. Dogs going for that are usually from established hunters/breeder/trainers and a pedigree of champion hunters. You can find good litters and breeders offering dogs under $2000 if you look and are patient.

Google up Michael Barnes of Valley Way Kennels. He's a trainer/breeder in H'ville and has breed stock, and seems like a good down to earth guy that knows Boykins.

Great!! Thanks so much! I had a turkey hunting mentor who said all my Springers were good for was as a "cockleburr catcher" but he was impressed at how smart and well trained they were. I love dogs, including labs, who will in my experience eat a doghouse slap to pieces. To each his own. Appreciate the lead!

"For the Truth the Turkey is in Comparison a much more respectable Bird, and withal a true original Native of America" ~Benjamin Franklin

Isaiah 40:13-14

RAP is CRAP

NRA Life Member, GOA, BamaCarry Member