Originally Posted by Out back

My point is that isn't a tractor, it's a lawn mower. Which helps me understand why you like the hydrostatic drive. It's fine for a lawn mower.

And your point is entirely invalid and pretty closed minded. John Deer uses hydrostatic transmissions in crawler dozers up to 300+ horsepower, and they are pretty prevalent in other heavy equipment as well.

Again, I ain't row cropping 100 acres, don't move 800 lb hay rolls to feed cattle, and I don't have 25-30 food plots to plant or 60 acres of hay to bale. It would be pretty fuggin stupid for me to own a 50 HP tractor that I don't have a place to store and is too big for virtually everything that I do.

What we own is still a tractor, with a PTO drive, has appropriately sized tractor implements, does all the tractor work that we need done, and serves dual function with the finish mower we have on it.

If I retire and buy the 200-300 acres that I want, then I will buy a big tractor to go along with our little tractor, but I will probably never be without a little tractor again. And if I buy a big tractor, it will be hydrostatic drive also, unless I plan to start row crop farming.

Kind of like a .22 pistol vs. a .44 magnum. Both are handguns, and both have their place.

Last edited by UncleHuck; 08/21/19 04:45 PM.