Originally Posted by jawbone
You are correct. Public Record means just what it says. There are no stipulations in it for the press or anyone else. I'd call the officer that is over Administration and explain why you need to know and get them to help you and then suggest they teach the employees that deal with records about Open Record laws. There is actually a guy that gave himself a title of a one man group, that sends ridiculous requests for reports to PD all over the country and when they don't comply he sues them. He has apparently made a living doing this. The request we got from him was for about 6 mos of Accident Reports. We counted them up and I sent him a letter back that stated that copies were $5 each so when he sends a a check for the amount due (it was over $1000), we would send him copies with the driver's personal info redacted. He said we can't do that and he would sue us. I said go ahead and never heard another word about it.

Charging a nominal fee is fine. Many agencies and departments do this. Nothing wrong with that. Some places may be $1, some may be $2.50 or even $5, which is high but still in that "I gotta have it, here's five bucks" range.

Some have taken it to obscene levels, though, such as $25 or more per copy. That's incredibly outrageous, of course, in today's electronic era when things can be easily called up and printed. The high prices are nothing but blatant attempts to deter, usually from Tiny Town Asshole Agency-Mayor-Chief-Boss-Secretary, to try to get what they believe is the "nosy public" from "snooping" in public business.

I know of a small city that reportedly pays its administrative assistants (secretaries) in the high five figures. To get the salary records -- which are public record -- would indeed require a lawsuit because the city wouldn't hand them over. But they're public records for anyone to see.

Transparency shouldn't be this difficult, yet it always is.

"Hunting Politics are stupid!" - Farm Hunter

"Bible says you shouldn't put sugar in your cornbread." Dustin, 2013

"Best I can figure 97.365% of the general public is a paint chip eating, mouth breathing, certified dumbass." BCLC, 2020