Originally Posted by Jstocks
Ethics tends to be a foregone thing for most. They will park right next to you, walk the same way they saw your light go in the dark, even had some this year have the nerve to ride up on a bike and tell us they were continuing on down the trail (turkeys were roosted down said trail 200 yards). This was a mile in and we been sitting there in the dark for an hour and staged ourselves on the trail just to stop the morons from messing up our hunt.

Happening up on someone by accident is one thing. Going the same direction where you know there is a limited amount of property and there are folks already there is just complete disregard for the other hunter. (Example.... parking lot is at the trail head on a lake peninsula, and there’s already 2 trucks there when you get there)

The biggest thing about encounters on the public is that you really have no right to tell the other hunter that they can’t go on and do what they want. They have every right to be there, same as you. However, a good shaming for their inconsiderate actions, can sometimes help them see that they have crossed the line and sometimes they will back off. What always gets me is that they walk a mile down there and when you confront them they act all innocent with the “I had no idea anyone was here” spill. Really ? The big red truck didn’t clue you in? How bout the big white truck parked next to the big red
one?

My advice to you is to get there early. I mean 3 am early. It’s like anything else in life. Want it more than them. Hunt on days with less than ideal weather. Bluebird days with cool weather gets everyone out. Hunt the days that others won’t. Most of the time, the weather will allow some time
For decent interaction at different times of the day. Stick with it, don’t quit at 9 am and if you know there are birds, but don’t hear anything, stay in there. You may be surprised that one might fire up at 10 am or later once his hens leave him. First and foremost, scout. Not just before the season, birds move during the season and they change as spring progresses. The more you scout, the more you learn the woods. Knowing the woods is important to be consistently successful.

Don’t just give up when messed up. Be patient. A lot of times the turkeys may go back to doing what they do on an hour or so after being spooked. That don’t mean they will run to your call, but they may settle down just enough to give away their location a time or 2.

Too much to read. Somebody summarize.

My opinions and comments are my own. They do not reflect the position or political opinions of Aldeer or any of the Aldeer administration.