Originally Posted by scrubbuck
Originally Posted by daylate
Maybe all these gigantic Saskatchewan sized Alabama deer were just before my time. I have been hunting or have known people hunting in Alabama since the mid seventies. The heaviest deer I have ever credibly heard of was a 230 lb 12 pt killed in Sumter County in the mid seventies. I saw the picture of that one and although I cannot verify the weight, it was a toad for sure. I, like others on here have said, would love to see some pictures of these gigantic bucks from the glory days. We may never see Alabama deer of that size again.

What is interesting here in Florida is the rising number of 200 lb bucks in recent years. Just about every club I used to hunt has taken one or more a year lately. I watched a 210 lb 8 pt weighed on good scales last season. When I was hunting Florida, 180 lbs was about the biggest I ever saw. I killed that one on the Escambia River and he had wide skinny horns that probably score around 90". Why are Florida deer increasing in body weight? Baiting has been allowed since at least 1990 so it isn't that.

Interestingly, FL buck scores are going up as well. I know of 3 killed within 80 miles of my house in the last two years that were 140 or better. That was unheard of when I hunted here.

Like people, the older they get the heavier they get. More and more folks are letting bucks get older now days.

Probably what is happening now that you mention it. All of the local clubs are leased from RMS and they have a mandatory minimum harvest age of 3.5, no exceptions.