Originally Posted by DP1975
Originally Posted by poorcountrypreacher

Paragraphs are your friendSheesh

Reading comprehension is a better friend and won’t leave you looking like a moron.
First off Lovetts responses to turkey questions are still up on OG there’s only two pages worth and none of the questions or responses said anything about a later season doing harm. None of Lovetts books said it either. The man has been dead over 5 years I don’t recall any state attempting to move the season forward 5 years ago so we’re would the question have originated?
As for my comment about people not caring about the welfare of the Wild Turkey it was directed at those that stated the new season was just a suggestion, implying they would hunt as they wanted. It was clear in my post....it’s your lack of comprehension that makes you think it was directed to anyone else.
What about this whole thing is confusing y’all so much? No state has moved the season forward long enough to know if it will benifit the population. Asking for proof that a later season will help before anyone has actually done it is stupid. Who stands to gain from this season move? Do some of you really believe the state has moved the season for some monitory gain lol? Ol Turkey247 said “follow the money” lol what money who’s paying anyone to move the season? Most of you aren’t even making good nonsense with your arguments. No one has any other suggestions about what could be done just cry and whine. Would you feel better if the state done nothing, and then you’d really have something to cry about.

There is still about 9 months of the Lovett Williams forum on OG, but he did that for several years. The site owner may still have it archived if you are really interested. The question he answered came up in a response to a hunter who had the idea that the season should be changed to just what we are seeing now. This was about 10 years ago, so I can't remember exactly how he worded it, but he was very humble about it as he always was in his answers. He thought it possible that hunters bumping setting hens could cause more harm than any possible gain from a later season.

That surprised me, and that's one reason I still remember it. I asked about it on this forum and it was discussed by several of the biologists who used to hang out on here. There was no consensus, but I did become more aware of the issue of nest abandonment after that. And I have noticed that several times since when I have spooked a setting hen she did not return. Quite often, these encounters were with me on the tractor, and that would probably make it worse than just a hunter. And I would also say that there has been times when the hen did return.

I have posted this before, but I will put it in this thread so you will see it. I don't believe that any tract I have ever hunted has a problem with hens not being bred due to the lack of a gobbler. When I am seeing and hearing gobblers through the season and on into the summer, common sense will tell you that any perceived problem with reproduction must be due to something else. I don't doubt that there may be some places with low populations where the lack of a gobbler is a real problem; it just isn't happening on my places.

In fact, there is no problem period with turkey populations and trends on the tracts I hunt. I have been blessed to hunt one property every season since 1963, and the past 5 years has been the best period we've ever experienced. I have spent unreasonable amounts of my own money and time to grow turkeys, and it has worked. My career as a turkey hunter is nearing it's end, but I don't want to see AL lose the wonderful system of turkey management that we enjoy.

And just so you know, I joined aldeer in 2002 and have killed an AL.limit every year since except one. I had some health issues in 2012 and got only 4 that year. I have also traveled extensively and killed quite a few in other states. From what you have posted, I think we use similar hunting methods. I believe AL has the best turkey hunting in the nation, and I want to do my part to see that continue.

There are many great turkey hunters and conservationists on this forum, and you have reached some very false conclusions about them. My advice is to tone down the name calling and you would probably enjoy hanging out here. Good luck with your hunting.

All the labor of man is for his mouth, and yet the appetite is not filled.