Originally Posted by cartervj
After seeing that several here have one, just curious as to their temperament compared to a lab. I've had 4 hunting labs over ht year san just put my last one down. He did dual service, retrieved ducks and was a really good flushing/pointing upland dog.
He's the one in my avatar. I sen a Boykin 30 years ago an older gentlemen had on a dove hunt.

How hard headed are they? Training wise and prefer a female to male. I've had 3 males and 1 female Lab over the years and leaning towards another female since I don't have the desire to handle a male hard headness, females just seem easier to work. Not knowing about Boykins that well was curious as to who their temperment might be perceived compared to a female lab.

Are Boykins ok on upland, primarily quail, not a deal breaker cause I doubt I can find another lab like my last one.

I'm late to this thread, but can echo much of what's been said. I had one years ago (that was not registered...long story). He was a very good dog, and training was not my superpower then. I've gotten better. He was hard headed, but a damn fine dog. Very birdy, good retriever, great watchdog too.

Currently have a 6.5mo old female. I paid $1500 for her. She's, hands down, the best PUPPY I've ever owned. Extremely willing to please, and learns fast. Loves to retrieve, and loves to get in the bush and quarter back and forth with her nose to the ground, and tail wagging 100mph. Not sure she knows exactly what she's after just yet, but she's a hunter. She loves to go places and rides in the truck very calmly. She goes to the office with me often and mostly entertains herself while I work. She's not been hard to house train, nor extremely destructive.

Boykins CAN BE hard headed and soft tempered (shut down if you lose your temper). This one I have now is not super hard headed, or soft tempered. I've discovered that shaping natural behaviors in to those I want is the easiest way with her. They are NOT labs. Labs I've owned and seen will take a 2x4 up side the head and not quit on you. I've owned a boykin pup (that I adopted out due to her soft temper and hard head) that would give up if you raised your voice, and also would soil her own kennel. I bought her from a news paper add about 15 years ago.

My experience these days with mine and others I know that have Boykins bought from reputable breeders is that the Boykin Society has been diligent in keeping the breed a hunter and with the standards, and if you buy from a reputable breeder, then you're likely going to get a fine dog. If you try to find one cheap, then do so at your own peril. May or may not be a great dog.

Above all Boykins thrive on human attention, and will be happiest and the best they can be at their jobs if they're are also a family dog.