Some fun stuff the past couple of weekends:

I built some more Thomas Jefferson stairs for the other bedroom loft. Notice the neat landing at the bottom... This is what you do when you build the exact set of stirs you built for the other bedroom, except you screw up somehow and build them one riser too short. grin Mrs. Irish was helping me install them after they were already cut, the dado joints routed, glued and screwed...

"Where are you going?"
"Down stairs to get a beer."
"Why?"
"Because I'm about to throw these %^&$#@ stairs off the back deck and start over!"

So I had the beer got over being pissed at myself and came upstairs with the idea to build a little landing exactly the height of the missing riser. Mrs. Irish says:

"It looks great! It looks like you meant to do it that way."
"Well... We just won't tell anyone I screwed up." grin

[Linked Image]

So as you all know the ceilings on the second floor are pretty high, almost 16'-0" in some places. This makes for weird high ceilings in these little closets. So I framed floors in the smaller closets and added another closet above each one for long term storage. Well until now they didn't have any doors or a way to get to stuff up there. I fixed that now. I had some old deck boards from our deck in Trussville that we demolished and rebuilt about 10 years ago. Did I tell y'all that I never throw anything away? So I re-purposed some of those deck boards into a sliding barn door for the upper closet. Sunday morning project...

Check out my cross country skis on the wall. Mrs. Irish says I'm about 3 parts Chip Gaines and one part Joanna Gaines. grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Of course a closet 7'-6" off the floor ain't no good without a way to get up there, so I built a little ships ladder to get up there. Plus the ladder had to look neat so we coudl hang it on the wall somewhere up stairs and it had to be sturdy and light weight. Not a bad couple of hour project on a Sunday...

Sketched it up...

[Linked Image]

Used some 1" thick wood that had aged to a nice patina, routed all the edges with a 1/4" bit and dadoed all of the steps into the stringers, glued and screwed it all together...

[Linked Image]

And then we found a place to hang it in the upstairs hallway, tucked behind the opened bathroom door.

[Linked Image]

Of course had to say goodbye on Monday morning to head back to reality, but not before saluting the sun over Shinbone Valley...

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Irishguy; 07/23/19 02:45 PM.