Originally Posted by Cactus_buck
I’ve been a nurse for 15 years. Been in the healthcare field for 20...I totally believe American healthcare from the prescription companies down to the doctors are to blame for the current prescription abuse problem we have. A lot (not all) MDs thinks it’s just easier to write someone a prescription than argue with them about opiates and get them out of their office. We have become such a service pleasing occupation that they get “bad reviews” if they don’t write them their addictive prescription for the month. It’s gotten way outta hand.

While I agree with this to an extent......Put yourself in the shoes of the prescriber. Most doctors do not work for themselves. Governmental red tape, insurance companies, along with corporate entities have made it nearly impossible to go into practice for yourself. Now the bulk of physicians are owned by some type of asset management, hospital, or corporation. If your boss is on your ass about documenting insulin injections in triplicate.......then you do it. Same for making customers happy.

The government is the root of the problem. Reimbursement is based off of patient satisfaction. Being a nurse, you know that sick people don't come to the hospital to rest, you come to the hospital to get better. Healthcare by and large (not all of it) should NOT be customer oriented, however everything is being based off of customer satisfaction. Because companies are running hospitals like a Starbucks, you have a physicians that answer to a suit that tells them how to practice. It happens everyday. I had a CEO tell an ER physician that he would give a patient a steroid injection (patient was a poorly controlled diabetic) because the patient was on the board and that's what he wanted.

My wife and I both are NP's. Fortunately I don't deal with chronic diseases at all, but she does. She also works for a large for profit and they deal with google reviews all the time. All of her bad reviews are from drug seekers. It's a catch 22, but after a while you get a piss on it attitude. I got to eat, if you want to kill yourself....then go to it.

Last edited by weatherby; 07/21/19 04:34 PM.

If Caitlyn Jenner can keep his wiener and be considered a woman, I can keep my guns and be considered disarmed!