Originally Posted by Ant67
Hoggin you have not addressed the “calling” point. Bibb County has been/is blessed to have a core of veterans in our Sheriff dept that were called to serve their home community and have done it well inspite of being paid a fraction of their worth. If you feel called the equation changes very much like it did at Normandy

It is a valid point, I feel service was definitely my calling, all I ever wanted to be from probably to young to understand why was a soldier. I did that until appeals on my second medical discharge ran out making it impossible to continue and then moved on to the next best thing, the war raging in the streets of Birmingham. But my family never signed up for the politics that came with the job. My wife at the time was very familiar with rides to UAB in a patrol car but no family should be prepared to see a loved one going to prison ( as previously mentioned watched it happen to a friend) for doing their job well or seeing the media make them out to be a blood thirsty racist monster because they answered the wrong call or ran into the wrong spoiled brat high on dope and familiar with preferential treatment. Just because I was willing to put on a badge and do my job every day didn’t mean I had the right to put the ones I loved in jeopardy

I moved on. I haven’t been shot, stabbed, run over, run under or had to sit with the feds and wait to see if they wanna believe me or some crackhead on some BS story since I quit. I make a lot more money, spend more time with my family and still provide a service everyday to people in need.

I’m sure small town policing is a lot different but the same risk is there, it just takes one call going to hell and somebody with a phone on go watching or the media to decide to play it up

Last edited by hoggin; 07/08/19 09:23 PM.