Originally Posted by blumsden
Originally Posted by Antlerfluke
The food plots I plant are FAR more beneficial to my deer herd than a corn feeder. I can grow more tonnage of deer food cheaper than corn.

There IS a difference!!

Give me food plots and I aint' talkin' ryegrass, either!!! "Oh, my food plots look so greeenn!!!" says a hunter. They're ryegrass, sir!! Anyway...

I don't plant ryegrass. Most people plant in the fall to "hunt" over... I'd like to think I do both. I feed my deer herd with quality food plots and I hunt over my food plots too.

Not real big into corn.

Would you hunt over a standing corn field? There is no difference, only in people's minds. Another elitist thinking their way is the only way. Food is food, period. Both attract deer, period.

Blumsden, I personally would not plant corn (unless I had acres of open, plantable land to "waste" on corn). Would I hunt over it? Yes, if it were there. But I'd rather plant something more nutritious and when done right, you can't tell me that, say, one acre of Triticale, Wheat, Oats, Brassicas, clovers, etc... is NOT better for wildlife than what the X amount corn that will be placed on hunting property by hunters. What's the comparison in nutrition and tonnage (given the food plot is fertilized, reasonable soil pH and a deer herd at carrying capacity) per acre of a higher-end food plot (I agree, rye grass ain't worth a dayum!) from late September - June vs. corn and what the average hunter is going to dump on the ground, feed from a feeder and keep in mind... most corn will cease to be made available to wildlife after Feb 10th!! And let's look at the ignorant feeding of corn where some hunters make an "ant bed style" corn pile that gets wet and produces alpha toxins.

You can call people like Antlerfluke (Antlerfluke and I work for the same company and hunt together on a rather large tract of land) and other dedicated hunters that believe in planting food plots in the fall to feed wildlife for several months AND kill deer over at the same time, an "elitist" group, because hunters like us don't put out food ONLY to kill over. We believe in feeding our deer herd the best way we can, in addition to putting out corn. Will we put out corn? Probably so, but it's not a big part of how we hunt. We "food plot" big time!

You say that "Food is Food" and coming from you after reading your posts, surprises me. That's like comparing a Hardee's double with cheese and bacon vs. baked chicken with steamed vegetables. Certainly you see the difference there!? So, "Food ain't food" when you compare the nutrition of a - say - brassicas vs. rye grass or corn.

No argument from me that "both" attract deer!!! I'm just saying that feeding corn and not planting food plots (with good cultivars) is not good deer mgmt. If you're all about the killing... then pour out corn! "Managing for the health of a deer herd" I supposed, when a majority of others are not, I supposed, if that's the case, I could be a proud elitists, as you say. smile But I don't think I am alone in my thinking.

If both the pouring of corn out and planting food plots were equal, why would Wildlife Mgmt Solutions, Biologic, Pennington Seed, etc... even exist? Hell, just go to Walmart and buy the "Deer" corn (no other corn will work, ya know?!) and pour "deer" corn out and stop doing it Feb 10th. (Most feeding stops on Feb 10th)

Both methods (poured-out corn vs. food plots) are the same, you say? Food is food, you say? In attraction, maybe. Mississippi State University didn't include corn in its deer preference study, which Berseem Clover won (I think Fixation Balansa may have placed high too), so I can't speak to the corn vs. Berseem clover match-up. But it appears that you and I look at deer mgmt or deer hunting differently. And that's ok. I'll stick with what I'm currently doing and I'll stay in-tune with what's best for the deer herd.

But NOPE, they're not the same!!! Properly planted food plots and corn poured out on the ground is NOT the same, and the saying of, "Food is Food", is NOT correct, IMO. smile

Last edited by Thefofive; 06/26/19 11:32 AM.