Originally Posted by laidback
They are hard headed and do things when retrieving labs don’t do. A good example is running out for the retrieve and rolling around on the duck. As far as cold weather goes all of ours don’t mind it. They get in cold water just like our labs do. Some Boykins don’t like water period but most do. They don’t chew as bad as labs but eat things especially women’s panties. Find a pup from a reputable breeder that hunts and runs hunt test. Make sure the genetic test have been done. Be prepared to pay big bucks for a quality pup. They start at about $1500 but really well bred ones go for upwards of $2500. Anything cheaper than that beware. They are out there for a lot less but I can assure the proper testing hasn’t been done.

Cant stress that enough. Make sure eyes and hips are in good standing. My parents had 2 before their current boykin. One had bad hips, and the other was blind for most of his life. They are good dogs, but if you want something that can upland hunt and will point/ retrieve i would suggest a brittany. Ive got one that will quail hunt his ass off. Point every covey and retrieve birds when shot. Dove hunts great too. Picked up 36 of 36 dove last season.

A BAD DAYS HUNTING OR FISHING IS BETTER THAN ANY DAY AT WORK