Originally Posted by Clem

As with anything, if someone could explain in a rational, logical way that this "10 day rule" makes biological sense I'd love to hear it. I'm all about hearing whatever rationalization is involved.

My contention is it impacts non-resident hunters who wouldn't travel to SC or Missouri or another state for opening weekend or opening day. If I could only shoot one turkey in 10 days before being able to return, and I don't want to hear all this "Oh, you should enjoy the camaraderie and spirit of hunting" bullchit because that's not always how it is in reality, then I wouldn't probably go. I might only be able to make it for that opening weekend, or make a long 4-day weekend out of it but not be able to return a week or two later for my second bird.

So they would get zero from me. Zero money, zero expenses for gas-travel-hotel-food-whatever, zero money from the feds for my license purchase. Zilch. Zero. Nada.

But that is based on money, not biology. Prove to me that in Missouri or South Carolina or anywhere that me killing a turkey on Saturday and Sunday before blowing out of town is biologically detrimental to the population in any way, and I'll be interested. If so, fine. I'd like to hear it. Same for any animal, fish, bird, whatever.

I live in SC and agree 100 percent. The contention from DNR is that gobblers are being killed "too early in the breeding cycle and it is negatively impacting the successful breeding of hens, which in turn impacts poult recruitment. If that is the case, explain the record harvests from many years in a row when the season opened March 15. I could type a novel on this but don't have it in me. Poorcountrypreacher usually has some good dialogue for this kind of debate and generally what he says I tend to agree with.

I think the bottom line is there is just too many people turkey hunting now. There is a limited amount of resources and too many people trying to take from it. This is true for a pile of hunting/fishing activities.