I'm going to slightly modify what I said and add a caveat to CNC's comment. You have to pay attention to what CNC said, which is "if your soil is fertile." I've found that if your soil is bad, as in sandy or sandy loam like a lot of Alabama soils, then, you are going to have a hard time in year one getting summer growth that worth a darn. I'd strongly recommend something grassy like millet. Grows just about everywhere and produces lots of biomass. At the same time, hit it with lime. If you haven't done a soil test and you aren't in the black belt, I'd hit it with a ton of ag lime per acre.

If you want tons of biomass for the fall, plant rye and crimson clover the following fall. deer aren't as big of eaters of rye where I am, but it makes some serious biomass, and I was willing to trade that off in my food plots with the worst soil. Year two, I planted wheat, oats and rye, with crimson, arrow leaf, and rape and some turnips. All did well.

So in my five T&M plots now, I rotate WMS pea patch, then in the fall wheat, oats rye (heavy on wheat), crimson, arrow leaf, rape and turnips. Just 1lb an acre on turnips, though. Those buggers are expensive!!

Last edited by ALFisher; 05/16/19 11:33 AM.