Picked up a used fishing kayak over the winter, and yesterday was it's first big test. Me and a fellow from church met up at Seagrove Beach and launched into some of the prettiest water you could imagine. We didn't spot or catch any spanish, and it was a tad early for Kings, but we did manage to make something happen. One of the guys we were with had coordinates to a couple of man-made reefs, so we paddled out and put on bottom rigs and caught a bunch of small triggerfish. The wind was up by the time we got there, so you had to paddle past the spot and drift back through it every time, but 4 of us caught them pretty steady for nearly an hour. Man, those jokers fought hard every inch of the 60 feet of water they were in. The biggest one I caught was an inch shy of being a keeper. One of the guys we met out there boated 2 small mahi, and nearly got another in, but it threw the hook right at the boat. I had something hit my stinger rig while trolling between spots. Kinked up my wire leader, but somehow didn't find a hook. Even with the wind up, the waves were gentle. Occasionally, a big one would break over the bow of the kayak. All in all, the water was nice, the paddling was fun, and the fishing was pretty good. I can't wait to go back in a month or so when the kings will be around and hopefully hungry.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

You gonna pull them pistols, or whistle Dixie?