So on days when I don't get to go hunting, during down times, whatever...I really enjoy watching the Hunting Public, Catman, the Pinhoti Project, Bartlett Kimbrough, etc. All of these videos in the woods are great and I obviously really enjoy them. However, I often am curious about one thing in particular. Especially as it pertains to the Hunting Public (just watched them ruin a layup in Missouri) with some of the rookie/Midwestern guys they have on the gun on their hunts, it blows my MIND how many of them screw up an otherwise perfect hunt by not having a clue how to kill (and not run him off and shoot at him running or flying) the turkey when he finally shows himself. This part is absolutely the first thing I give instruction on when I take rookies. Even my 13 year old, rookie turkey hunting son quasi pulled it off last year on his first ever turkey in the woods.

I know a lot of people wait until a turkey goes behind a tree to make a quick, final move with the gun and I'm not saying I haven't successfully done that. Most of these goobers on these videos don't even try that and will jerk the gun around when the turkey is in plain sight, I'm assuming out of sheer panic and nerves because the turkey didn't walk straight down their barrel? I say all of that to say, I'm curious if any of you guys DON'T know about the smooth swing while yelping trick when you get eyes on a turkey, he is in a clear lane, you want him to crane his neck, and you need to make an adjustment with your gun to get on him and make the shot? I feel like it is absolutely the best trick that BrentM ever taught me about turkey hunting. I have had turkeys show nearly 90 degrees off of my gun barrel and been able to get them killed using this trick. It is like the turkey is absolutely expecting to see and hear a hen and it short circuits his brain when yelping starts followed by some smooth, calm motion. Knock on wood, I cannot remember a single turkey that spooked when I did it. They just seem to stand straight up and pose for getting shot, like they have been hypnotized. I honestly don't remember ever seeing/hearing anybody on a video do exactly what I am talking about (of course you often can't see the shooter though) and it makes me wonder if there are other folks out there who don't know that little trick?

"The only reason I shoot a 3.5" shell for turkeys is because they don't make a 4" one." - t123winters