Originally Posted by GomerPyle
I guess my point in the post above was not to downplay their calling skills, but that I think their scouting/recon skills don't get enough credit, just because most of that is done before season and/or off camera. It's just not exciting and doesn't really make for good footage. But they obviously put in a LOT of work scouting, and clearly they're good at it. I put in a decent amount of work scouting, but I'm obviously not very good at it because I've nothing to show for it.

I think you are assuming they have these birds pinpointed a lot better than they do. They are really good at reading a map and getting within earshot of a bird based on that. If they don’t kill him that day, they are honed in on him the next. There’s not much actual “feet on the ground scouting” involved in a U.S. Slam.

I’d agree with John, you may need to get your hearing checked. I’ve hunted a lot of wmas in this state, including the one you frequent. On a good weather morning, you’re gonna hear atleast a few ghost gobbles from a highpoint in turkey habitat. It would be an abnormal day not to.