Well, after posting in here with no turkey ground to hunt earlier this year it looked like I was going to have a disappointing year. Luckily a week before the season started I joined a club that had some turkey on it it looked like.

I didnt have much of a chance to scout and I only made it up there one afternoon just before the season to look around a little and spent around an hour and a half with my wife finding gates, seeing where the roads went etc and went in blind for the opener.

Its taken me a little while to figure out the land . A lot of the best places were taken by older members, so I signed out a piece that wasnt booked and gave it a whirl.

The piece I ended up signing out was literally surround on two sides by public land, and I soon figured out from all the guys owl hooting, crow calling and running boxes and slates (sometimes from right where my truck was parked) that there were a lot of public land hunters that were hunting right on the line...a couple even came over the line. NOW I knew why the guys in the club didnt hunt it!

However I did locate a gobbler and after having a public land hunter cut me off halfway between me and the bird and shoot 3 times at him I realized that I was going to have to get real aggressive on any bird I heard.

I changed my strategy to fit and decided Id get within 100 to 120 yards of any gobbling bird I heard to get in his "comfort zone". I also realized I had to hunt them like public land birds and couldnt get him to gobble much or folks would come a running..and they didnt seem to care much about property lines.

They didnt seem to like box calls at all...and slates either. Too many folks calling at them with them on or from the public ground..

I prefer mouth calls anyways and went to a bag of calls old Brandon (YEKRUT) had sent me

My strategy worked and I got my first one down on my first 3 day trip. After that I hit the ground running and started finding birds here and there. Using the same strategy and Brandon home made mouth calls I started piling them. I also would park on the club and go after any bird I heard on the public land and using our roads could beat anyone to get close to them.

Ive ended up with 4 so far and missed 3 on that public land too. Took today off to regroup and rest going after them this weekend to get number 5 hopefully.

Heres some pics:

Bird number 1:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Bird number 2:
[Linked Image]

bird number 3:

Thats YEKRUTs yellow call on the gobbler..the other 2 I used his white call on. Sadly I lost it when I jumped up and ran to the bird. Luckily I still have 2 yella ones and a red one left!:

[Linked Image]

Bird number 4 I sat on my dang phone and now the camera wont work and only will take selfies..lol:
[Linked Image]

Hopefully Ill get number 5 this weekend. A BIG shout out to Yekrut on the calls. They are really excellant calls and I have to give him a little credit for each of those gobblers! thumbup

Thanks B!

Last edited by outdoorobsession; 04/18/19 06:34 PM.