I've started to put out cameras again this year. I'm using the cheap $60 chinese specials off of Amazon. I haven't used them in years after I got a couple of them stolen off of trees, just pissed me off someone could snatch $120 away from me like that. My trespasser problem has finally cut down some, so now I've got the itch to "see whats out there" again.

The deer know exactly what's going on with those cameras. I have visited a camera I put on a plot frequently (about every four days) to make sure no piddlers were showing up and running off with the camera, and every time after I leave the deer are at the camera within about 45 minutes, noses high in the air, figuring out my scent and what the hell I am doing with this weird thing on the tree. One young buck even gave the camera a lick over from top to bottom within hours of me being there. They currently associate me with feeding them, because I drop off sweet potatoes every time I visit the camera, but it made me wonder what they would do if they didn't associate me with food, but with danger.

Best advice I have is if you do run them, don't check them often and keep them in an easy to access area like someone else said.

Last edited by dirkdaddy; 03/09/19 05:12 PM.