Originally Posted by AU338MAG
Originally Posted by Hix14
I love hunting for that trophy. Like most of you guys, I've let a ton of "decent" bucks go over the years. Having hunted in Texas, Illinois and Alabama, I have seen some studs. Even lucky enough to kill a couple of really nice deer. But I heard an old man say something, years ago in one of our preseason hunting club meetings. The debate came up about 6 point or better versus 8 point or better, etc. He said he'd vote to let 2.5 year old 6 points walk and would rather kill 18 month old spikes. His point was that the 6 point is only a year or 2 away from potentially being a shooter. The spike is 3 - 4 years away. Makes some sense. Of course, none of us killed spikes or 2.5 year old 6 points. But I can almost see the rationale behind his comments. Not that I agreed or disagreed. Just an old man' way of looking at things.

And that makes no sense at all...

It makes perfect sense. Really the most endangered deer in the woods is a pretty 2 year old. They ain’t real smart yet but there are a bunch of hunters that will let spikes or little scraggly young bucks of the same age class walk but they will turn that pretty 2 year old buck with good genes inside out quick as they see him. It is exactly the same as high grading timber like previously stated