Originally Posted by mman
Originally Posted by abolt300
Actually to me it does. If you've just absolutely got to do it and you're going to shoot a non-mature buck, youre better off shooting a spike than that 2-3 yr old 6 or 8 point. That 2-3 yr old buck has already survived cars, neighbors, members, fights, ehd, coyotes, rut stress, etc, for 2-3 years and is well on his way into making it into the older "mature" age classes. You've got 2-3 years invested in him. If you kill a yearling spike, you've got virtually no time or nutrition invested in him and that yearling buck is easily replaced with the next year's crop of fawns whereas it will take you 2-3 years to have that same 6 or 8 point you shot, replaced with another similar buck of the same age if you are trying to grow and manage for older age class bucks. Wise old guy in my opinion.

Especially if you kill him before dispersal. Most young buck will leave their birth home range area, usually in the fall/early winter and if you can kill him before he leaves, you are not decreasing your buck population but someone else's.

That's a good reason, and was the reason for my comment above. The 1-1/2 YO bucks wandering your 1500 acres may not be "your" deer. They have been pushed out by mama but don't have a home yet. They may set up home 5 miles away next season. But if everyone starts shooting spikes, there are none left to wander onto your property to become 2-1/2 YO 6 points.

Just a thought...

Dying ain't much of a living boy...Josey Wales

Molon Labe