I'm with Paulfish4570, what do you have now and how far are you comfortable with at the moment? A lot of deer calibers are very capable to the 500-600 yard mark if you are sighted in for 300 yards. I may get flamed, but if you are going to be shooting that far, you better be comfortable sighting in at 300.

A few other questions you might consider ----- How good are your eyes - 500 yards is a long way to see a deer in a corn field, they can blend in nicely. (I know some of you can see a knat at 100 yards, some of us can't) Do you have good glass? Do you have a range finder? That range finder will help a lot, the only ones that can tell the difference between 500 yards and 600 yards in a field are those that have practiced sighting distances a lot, have markers set up in their field to help them or have range finders. Do you have a place and a buddy to practice with in the off season? Know what your gun is going to do at 300 - 400 - 450 - 500 - 550 - 600 ------ they are all different --- Also, practice when it is raining and practice when the wind is blowing. Some of you that don't think 600 yards is much, that's because you have practiced.

Also, just because you can hit that 600 yard shot this year, doesn't mean you will automatically do it next year. There is a difference in hitting an animal the size of a deer at 600 yards and hitting a deer in the exact spot you want to hit him at 600 yards. Take my advice for what it's worth, not even .02 compared to others.

Last edited by Davyalabama; 02/17/19 10:09 AM. Reason: add a sentence

“If you do not conquer self, you will be conquered by self.” Napoleon Hill
The most difficult thing to understand during conversation is silence. Thoreau