Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Originally Posted by BPI
While people are talking knives, can someone explain to me why Falkniven brand knives are so crazy expensive ? I know they are really well made, from really good steel,... but good grief. Am I missing something ?

A lot of their knives are laminated steel with a hard center and softer sides. It gives you a thin center that's easier to sharpen because it's thinner and the sandwich steel is softer. The sandwich steel protects the harder center which would likely be brittle if it weren't as thin as it is. At least that's the theory. It may just be a cheaper way to make something good. Whatever it is,it costs a bit more.

I don't own the Fallkniven but have bought and made knives using Helle's laminated steel,and I do like it better than plain carbon steel. A laminated blade use to cost me about $40 compared to $10 for one in carbon steel.

Laminate or San Mai ( I believe ) are more expensive, but I wasn't aware that Falkniven's were laminate. I will check that out. Even so, my goodness those things are high for a non-custom, semi-mass produced knife.