Ive been hunting the same 220 acres in Autauga County for ten years. Ive observed a noticeable decline in numbers of deer over that period of time. I realize that the population goes through natural cycles, but the decline I have seen is drastic. This year I hunted 14 days and saw a total of 3 deer, one doe, one yearling, and one buck. This is BY FAR the lowest number of deer I have seen in a season. This is also the first season since I began hunting this property that I have not fired a single shot. Maybe it's coyotes, maybe its the liberalized doe season, I don't know. I DO KNOW that there are far fewer deer on this property and in the area around it than there has ever been. Some folks can regulate themselves and control their trigger finger, but enough can't that it is having a detrimental impact on the herd. It is very frustrating to spend hours and hours in the woods and see very few deer and even more when you are afraid to kill one because you don't want to make the situation even worse.
I would like to see either a shortened season or a decrease in the number of doe days. I realize that not all areas of the state are experiencing the same problems I am, but is it too much to ask that state biologists do deer herd estimations and change the seasons accordingly? Practically every other state in the SE U.S. has made changes to their seasons in response to changes in the herd.

Last edited by WhiteCityHunter; 01/25/12 10:43 AM.