Originally Posted by TravisBatey
Originally Posted by AU7MM08
3-6 months of expenses.
Might be tough to live like a monk for a while but you can sure sleep well with 6 months of cash in a 2% account.

Completely blows my mind that people dont make this at least a minimum goal. That should be the first thing done when you enter the real world work force and not hard to do if you put off the shiny new things you think you need to keep up with the jones.

The amount of well paid gov employees that are starving to death because of being out of work for 1 month completely amazes me.

Problem is this isn't being taught and hasn't been taught for many years. People today grew up watching mom and dad struggle and barely get by and somehow didn't learn anything from it and accept the paycheck to paycheck lifestyle, OR like I once did, get a decent paying job and can "afford" the shiny new nice to have things that they've never had before not thinking about what could happen. I've been there and done just exactly that. Grew up dirt poor and when I could "afford" (make payments) I splurged and it almost cost me everything I had in 2009. Its an endless cycle that isnt being taught against at home or in school. It creates a dependent society and that seems to be what the guberment and majority want. Economics and money management should be a requirement to graduate high school but that goes along with proper and truthful history classes too.