Originally Posted by Goatkiller
Everyone is going to argue that they "can't grow good bucks". That might be a 140 or 120 doesn't matter. A "good buck" is subjective.

What about focusing on age instead of worrying about overall score? Do you think we collectively as a State deer herd have good age structure? Maybe the deer will only ever be a 100 inch deer in a certain area.... My question is how many of those do you have. I do realize they don't all die via a bullet. However - there are not many places I have ever hunted in this State with 4-5 year old deer running around. How do you get there? Does anyone even really care that we get there?

I do hunt other States and I do think their age structure is much better. Young deer get killed especially on public ground in those states and a property owner who has 2 tags most certainly might shoot a 2 year old 6 point in those States. But something is different. Lot more 3 year olds running around.

Don't read into what I just wrote anything about my opinion. Just lay down some thoughts on that and what you think. I'd be interested on others perspective. I only know what I have experienced. That is not everyone else's experience.

I think it would be great for this state and in 5 years of implementing a new management strategy state wide Alabama would become a destination hunt. The only problem is there’s too many bubbas that aren’t going to have the next guy tell them how to hunt. So many people are worried about getting theirs we’ll never collectively get there.