Originally Posted by outdoorobsession

The good thing is all those things are controllable. Grow good food plots or hunt near great ag lands, dont go into your thickets except to recover one, prosecute all trespassers and road hunters, and DO NOT over hunt and pressure your land. It is literally that easy!

Actually it is not that easy. I have my own place too. I lease most of the land I own. If you have less than about 2,000 acres your success is directly impacted by the hunters around you. If you have a bunch of people hunting within close proximity that blast everything they see your hunting will suffer significantly. I'm not saying you still can't kill a big deer but you are fighting a completely different battle than a guy that has 1000 acres and surrounding that are landowners with similar trigger habits. If you have that you have a paradise and you should enjoy it. But at the same time you should also recognize that many hunters in this State only have 50 acres. In my opinion there are a significant number of people out there that fit that category who can't effectively manage their property under our current guidelines. Those people get turned off to deer hunting the same as the guy that just feels the need to kill something every time he puts on his camo.

What do you do... I don't know. I'm not offering any solutions only a different point of view. Those of us that have a hunting paradise tend to think that everyone else has the same. And that could not be further from the truth. This is part of the mentality "it's all about me". I see and hear this first hand because people are in leasing smaller tracts of land from me in several parts of this State. When they say they had a good deer season but they sure wish Bo and Luke Duke up the highway would stop blasting every deer they see because they can't get anything with horns to grow. You hear that season after season out of more than one group and at some point you realize it's not just all about me. Everyone else deserves to have a good experience too because the vast majority of the hunters in this State don't hunt on a 2,000 acre tract. To me right now in this State the meter is reading in total favor of the people that want to blast something. Chew on it. That's all I ask. I'm not trying to be right or wrong.

No government employees were harmed in the making of this mess.